Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Seven Things No One Told Me About Breastfeeding

1. Leakage...I vastly underestimated the amount of leakage there would be. Seriously it squirts out like a fountain and can soak through a bra and shirt in a matter of seconds...way faster than you can run to the bathroom to stuff your bra like an eighth grader.

2. You will sweat. and sweat and sweat some more. Blame it on the hormones the hot little baby on you or the vegas summer heat but I have never sweat so much in my life. It slowed down after the first 5 or 6 weeks but still very extra hot and sweaty.

3. Your baby's shit wont stink... We all love our babies more than life and figuratively think their shit don't stink but seriously if you breast feed it wont smell bad at all! Its a delightful side effect for all your hard work!

4. Roll your nipples between your fingers. I know it sounds horrifying but my doctor told me to do this while I was pregnant and I really believe it helped. It prepares them for all the attention they will be getting when the baby comes.

5. Breastfeeding is so much easier than pumping. Pumping for me has been very difficult, stressful and annoying! I barely get anything when I pump and if I didn't know for a fact that by baby is getting enough food (he is so fat and very happy) I would be so concerned that I don't have enough milk.

6. Breastfeeding is also way easier than lugging around an ice chest of milk or formula, bottles and special baby water.

7. It is not always easy but it really is the most miraculous thing to provide nutrition and comfort to your child with your own body. Watching him grow and eat is the most amazing experience. Holden is almost 4 months old and although I have pumped and put some in the freezer for emergencies he has never had a bottle. My original goal was one month without any bottles or formula and by that point all of the hard part was over and we were pros. There is so much negativity out there about how hard breastfeeding is that the great emotional experience seems to be overlooked. Bottom line is you can do it and you may even love it!

You may accidentally squirt your baby in the face but hey, worse things have happened!




No comments:

Post a Comment